Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke & The Bookish back in 2010. Every Tuesday there is a new Top 10 Topic and this week’s prompt is “Top 10 Recommendations For X” and if you can’t tell what I chose by the title, I’m doing:
Top 10 Comics for People That Think Comics are all About Super Heroes
or Top 10 Non-Super Hero Comics, for short. These are in no particular order and I added a few Honorable Mentions at the end as their authors had appeared once on the list already.
- Snotgirl Vol. 1 by Bryan Lee O’Malley and Leslie Hung
Enter the whimsical world of social media maven, Lottie Person as she navigates through fake friends, heartache and murder?
- Saga Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
A space opera to rule them all. When two soldiers from each side of a galactic, hate-fueled war fall in love, they must do everything they can to protect their newly born cargo.
- Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
A poignant memoir of coming of age in Iran during the Islamic Revolution.
- Wytches Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder and Jock
An ancient evil waits for the Rook family just beyond the woods of their new home. A much darker and horrifying take on classic witch mythos.
- Locke & Key Vol. 1 by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez
Keyhouse is the fantastical home to an angry creature that will stop at nothing to force open the doors to unspeakable evil.
- Maus by Art Spiegelman
A heartbreaking memoir of a Holocaust survivor and his cartoonist son.
- Chew Vol. 1 by John Layman and Rob Guillory
Tony Chu is an FDA Detective that gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats. Sometimes this means he has to eat a bit of the dead to find where illegal chicken is coming from.
- Sex Criminals Vol. 1 by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky
Suzie is just a typical girl and Jon is a typical boy except they both can stop time when they have sex and like any other person, they use this to their advantage…by robbing banks.
- Blankets by Craig Thompson
A beautiful memoir about Thompson’s battle with faith and coming of age.
- Descender Vol. 1 by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen
A young robot boy must stay safe in a world that has outlawed his kind. The only thing he has to protect himself against the bounty hunters out for his head, is his trusty companion.
- Paper Girls Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan
- Seconds by Bryan Lee O’Malley
- Through the Woods by Emily Carroll